Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Silent Screams(Part 10)


Anandita is surrounded by her parents on one side and her sister on the other. She was happy that they were there. She didn’t know what to say to them because she hadn’t expected it to end up in the way that it did. “I am just grateful to God that you are out of danger. For once, I was so happy for you, for the fact that you have friends you like you for being you and look how that turned out.” As she was about to continue further, she looked at Mr. Ram who was already giving her the stare. She silenced herself and smiled at her daughter lovingly and hugged her as lightly as she could. Anandita could clearly see tears in her mother’s eyes and even in her sister’s eyes. They expressed their emotions usually so it was normal. But the moment she looked at her father and saw tears in her father’s eyes, she couldn’t hold back her own tears. Anandita was crying, no she was bawling her eyes out. Her parents had to calm her down with a glass of water. During this hullaballoo, the nurse came into the room and was about to ask them to leave when she was the pleading in Anandita’s eyes. The nurse just stood in one corner, refusing to leave.
After about ten minutes, Anandita heard a knock on her door and looked up. She was shocked to see her best friend, best senior, Tanya standing at the door and her brother Sameer stealing glances from behind her.
“Tanya,” Anandita said with a smile. “How are you feeling now?” Tanya asked. “I am better than how I was found.” She then turned to Sameer who was still trying to use Tanya as his shield and said, “Thank you Sameer. If it weren’t for you, I wouldn’t be here.” Sameer first looked at Anandita with wide eyes and then tried to say something. But nothing came out of his mouth.  He cleared his throat and tried again, This time, he said in a very low voice, “I should’ve done this long ago. I mean I should’ve protected you from these bullies right from the beginning, right from when it started. I should have stood up for you against them. But, no! I stood at a side and looked at you being tortured all these years. I am sorry for all that. I know that no number of apologies is going to cover up for what I did, but I hope you have it in you to forgive me. Anandita’s mother felt betrayed. All this time, who she thought was her daughter’s protector had actually a part, even if not actively, in this condition of her daughter. She was about to say something to Sameer in anger. Gauging her mother’s mood, Anandita said, “It is ok Sameer. You were being just like any other school kid who is worried about their social status. And I am not saying this in a wrong way. What’s in the past, leave it there. Today, at this moment, I am here and alive because of you.” She saw how unconvinced Sameer looked and let out a big huff of breath, as she continued, “See, let me put it this way. If you wanted, just like other times, you coud’ve just left me there bleeding and unattended worrying about your social status. But you didn’t. Knowing fully well that saving me could definitely affect your position in the school’s social chain, you helped me out and I am grateful for that.”
 By the end of her ‘lecture’, she noticed that Tanya had this peculiar look on her face. “How?” she asked when she was out of her trance. “How do you manage to do that, Anandita?” Tanya asked. “Manage to do what Tanya?” Anandita asked perplexed. “How do you manage to… manage to… you know… be so.. so… nice even after how he behaved with you,” Tanya finished, amazed. “Oh that is simple,” Anandita answered, “I know how it feels to be on this side. And I wouldn’t want anyone to go through that even if it means me being alone.”
“Ok,” they heard a voice from the corner of the room. “It is time for her to rest. You can meet up with her later, may be tomorrow,” the nurse said from the corner. “Bye Anandita. Take care and rest well,” Tanya said as they turned to leave. Anandita’s parents also left soon after. The nurse fed dinner and the medicines. As Anadita was getting ready to sleep, she heard shuffling before she saw a troupe of police enter her room followed by Dr. Awasthi.

No comments:

Post a Comment